What is this blood test based on?
The ONCOblot® blood test detects ENOX2, a unique protein found only on the surface of a malignant cancer cell, in patients undergoing chemotherapy for advanced disease. ENOX2 proteins are released into the circulation and may be discovered in the blood. These molecules serve as highly sensitive indicators of early detection in both primary and recurrent tumors.
How sensitive is this blood test?
The OncoBlotTM Test can identify a tumor with 2 million cells in comparison to 4.5 trillion cells for a positive mammogram, according to the manufacturer.
How does this blood test determine organ site?
The ONCOblot® Test is a lab test that uses two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and western blot analysis as well as an ENOX2 protein-specific antibody for detection. The blood test result is shown on the ONCOblot® in a visible manner.
The absence of ENOX2 can be demonstrated by a variety of techniques, including immunohistochemical staining and the use of ENOX2 antibodies. The blot is distinguished into zones based on molecular weight and isoelectric point, which helps to identify the tissue of origin.
In this case, a lung cancer-specific ENOX2 protein is indicated by the circled spot. (The two spots labeled R are used for calibration.)
What are the steps involved for the ONCOblot® Test?
• Test kit delivered to physician
• The blood draw and test kit were delivered to ONCOblot® Laboratories.
• It will take approximately 15 business days to complete the task.
• Results provided to the doctor
How is the ONCOblot® Test being used?
• Follow up on any other tests (such as a high PSA test, a suspicious mammogram, or a worrying PET scan)
• Cancer screening is done repeatedly.
• Cancer gene testing in families
• After completing cancer treatments, a complete physical exam should be performed.
Laboratory-Developed Test (LDT)
The OCOblot® test is a lab-based, CLIA certified, CAP accredited blood serum test that meets current FDA standards. The FDA has given us the go-ahead to submit an 510(k) application. Meanwhile, we’re attempting to acquire insurance coverage.